Forced Into Lighter Caliber, Going Savage 243

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobertMT View Post
    What do your bullets mic? I've found diameters, vary by up to .0005" between brands. If it's shooting well, without fouling, I would consider that a bonus.
    Oh, my ability to mic anything would fail to make that fourth digit to the right even if I tried. %^) I'm just looking at Foster's info (http://www.ballisticstudies.com/About+Us.html) saying that no copper fouling is worse than heavy copper fouling. One can be remedied ( with a lot of work ) and one cannot. I am seeing a light dusting of copper on the lands which is encouraging. Foster states that an over sized barrel can look good at first ( grouping) but after a hundred or so rounds its all down hill with no return possible. We shall see.

Maybe Savage ( you would think, ey? ) knows what they are doing. This barrel appears mirror smooth to the naked eye. According to what I have read a good barrel will show significant copper traces but over 40 to 60 shots. Then defoul and get another 50 or so. I'll have more to go on after another box or two of ammo.

I CAN say this much however: My Browning 270 showed 5 times the amount of copper at the muzzle of this gun ( maybe 10 times ) and it could clover-leaf groups ( cold barrel ) with proper cleaning.
    Those that worship animals will eventually begin sacrificing human beings.

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - G. Mahler

Comment

I bet it will all be fine.
      Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
      He who knows not and knows he knows not is wise.

Comment

I don't place much stock in looking down the barrel, I clean all so you have a hard time pushing a dry patch thru . In any new firearm feel it won't start shooting its best in a molly barrel till about 250 rounds, and SS 500 now this is in production barrels not custom. And with the copper cleaner products out there how, you can easy get the fowling out if it starts to show.
        Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well so far so good. Took down a young Axis spike as he was having a nibble. Bullet went in about 6 inches back from his lower jaw and exited after having torn off the back of his skull. He did not feel any pain. Love this trigger.
          Those that worship animals will eventually begin sacrificing human beings.

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - G. Mahler

Comment

Sounds like you are off to good start the 243 is a good round, be doing some good eating with the young Axis.
            I came to the oilfield to get rich now I got to stay to eat.

Comment

Working...
            X