No announcement yet.

New Rifle build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What barrel did you use? How about stock?
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

The barrel is a Hart lightweight match grade stainless. 22" long 1-9". The stock is a Hogue overmolded rubber with full length aluminum bedding block. For what it is, its stiff and light. Provides good grip and no noise rubbing on branches in the woods or on clothing
      Sorry Marine, forgot the pics last time.
      Last edited by SeabeeChief; 11-07-2018, 22:08.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Very nice Seabee. Thanks.
          "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Just finished my 257 Ackley build a few months ago based off of a Remington 700 mountain rifle and a hogue stock. So far I have worked up a hunting load 100 gr. sierra flat base using 46.6 gr. of IMR 4350 with great success. I'm on a lease with olyeller and shot a 9 point at 158 yrds opening weekend and he dropped like rock. So far proving to be my new favorite caliber. One limitation I have with mine it is a short action but seems to like a big jump lucky for me! good luck with yours!

Comment

Nice shooting iron Seabee.

Comment

Sweet rifle. Very fitting of a Seabee Chief. Straight to the point, practical, functional. No BS, just get the job done. RD
                Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Thanks RD
                  I've done a LOT of testing in this rifle with Barnes 100 TTSX, 100 TSX, and 80 gr TTSX. I tested a lot of powders. I see questions about what powders for a cartridge so I thought I'd post the ones that shot best in my rifle. The ones I post all shot at least 1/2" groups. Bullets seated .030" off rifling which shot better than the .050" that Barnes recommends.

100 gr TTSX H-4831SC, N-560, RL-22, Hunter, Magpro
                  100 gr TSX Hunter
                  80 gr TTSX RL-16, H-100V, N-550, H-414 was best with group of .136" @ 100

It was hard to make the rifle shoot bad as the worst group was 2"

I'm sure I could get better groups by playing with the length a bit more but no point in it with a hunting rifle. I tried H-4350 but could never get it to shoot well. The rifle favored higher velocities at near max loads. Anyway, for those wondering about powders in the 257 AI, this is what I found in my rifle.
                  Lastly, this Hart barrel is the best I've ever had. The bore is super smooth and after the last shooting session of 50 rounds, I did 10 brush strokes and 2 wet patches of KG-1 and it was clean. it looked like a mirror from end to end
                  Last edited by SeabeeChief; 12-08-2018, 10:50.

Comment

Originally posted by SeabeeChief View Post
                    Has anyone seen this before?
                    Having owned and loaded for more guns than makes sense, I find that anything I believe is true will make me eat my words on my next purchase. Powders are a prime example.
                    Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

Just returned from a deer hunt in NC. The 257 AI took 2 deer using the Barnes 80 gr TTSX. Full penetration on both. Caught both lungs on one deer which dropped like a rock. On an angling shot, caught one lung on the other which ran about 50 yds before falling over. The rifle is accurate and seems to be a great deer rifle. The one in WV ran a short distance before falling over also but it was taken with a 100 gr Barnes TTSX. Thought I'd share this as a closer for the rifle build. Thanks to all for the input.

Comment

Working...
                      X