Announcement

Collapse

New Chat Room

The new chat room is floating on the bottom right hand corner of your screen. You will have to login to chat. But don't forget to log out when you are done, otherwise it will keep you listed as active.
See more
See less

Cerakote...or not...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cerakote...or not...

Need opinions here guys, I pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a new Kimber Hunter in 257Rbts, the stainless model. The dealer getting it for me does cerakote, I am considering having him coat it before I bring it home. I love the look, feel and durability of cerakote...what do you all think?

Originally posted by MapleHill View Post

I love the look, feel and durability of cerakote...what do you all think?
    I think you have answered your own question there Maple.

Support Bacteria,for some people, thats all the culture they have.

Former Northern Territory Rifle Association, Councillor.
    National Rifle Association of Australia.

Comment

I have two rifles that are durocoated. really like it.
      Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
      He who knows not and knows he knows not is wise.

Comment

Have 2 Ceratoted and a few Duracoated, like them all, the Cerekote may be a bit tougher than Duracoat...I did manage a scratch on one of the Duracoated rifles - cant say it was the coating - it was operator screw up.

Comment

Will either cerocoat or duracoat hide rust pits? I have a Win. Post 64 model 94 that spent too much time in a sweaty saddle scabbard. Nice rifle, low round count, great shooter, but badly pitted. Bought it for $125. If there's a chance that the coating would fill them in or hide them I'd be tempted to try it. RD
          Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Cerakote is wonderful stuff. But if it were me, I'd hold off until I had a chance to wring her out before dressing her up.
            Last edited by ghrit; 1 week ago.
            -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
            -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

The new barrel coming in .243 just had them bead blast it matte, they did the coating but left it off. I like that Kimber hunter hope the make it in .223
              Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Rockydog View Post
                Will either cerocoat or duracoat hide rust pits? I have a Win. Post 64 model 94 that spent too much time in a sweaty saddle scabbard. Nice rifle, low round count, great shooter, but badly pitted. Bought it for $125. If there's a chance that the coating would fill them in or hide them I'd be tempted to try it. RD
                Don't know if it will make them disappear, but it should soften them out at least. I'd be tempted if there is no "collector value" issues
                Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
                He who knows not and knows he knows not is wise.

Comment

Maple, I like Cerokote. lots of colors/patterns...and it looks much nicer than SS. go for it.

Comment

On my rifles that were used in the weather I stripped the blueing off the barrel/receiver and Parkerized them. Then I blued the parts in a Black Oxide tank. This gave me a deep charcoal gray/black finish that was tough! Oh, my 243 shoots 2 inch groups at 300 yards, too!

Comment

Originally posted by BEAR View Post
                      Maple, I like Cerokote. lots of colors/patterns...and it looks much nicer than SS. go for it.
                      I am gonna do it Bear, I don't like the SS either. He gets $75 for a bolt rifle, which is a pretty good value. I have seen his work and it looks very good, although I think it is pretty hard to screw up cerakote as opposed to bluing. He also parkerize, gonna have him do an older Marlin 30-30 I am giving my youngest son that the bluing is in pretty bad shape. Close to home and reasonably priced.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockydog View Post
                        Cerakote lays down thinner than Duracoat and as mentioned, is a bit tougher. Both coatings will shrink as they dry and therefore are not going to hide pits just by spraying. Duracoat will soften the flow of them to make them look closer to fisheyes, but it may also turn into pin holes.

You can lay down a couple coats of Duracoat, then sand down the finish to bring it down as close to the top of the pits as you can, then respray it. Depending on how deep this may take more than one attempt, or simply may not be feasible. However, it is the only way if you are trying to do it without taking off material or adding a filler.
                        Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                        -Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by MapleHill View Post
                          I love the look, feel and durability of cerakote...what do you all think?
                          Good stuff.

I have not done a sporter, yet, but I will have my 77/357 and 77/44's Cerakoted this year, and I'm having them bead blasted at the same time.

I have a couple AR builds using Aero Precision lowers and M-Lok rails. They look really nice.
                          Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

Check with your gun manufacturer and be sure that it doesn't void some kind of warranty. If it does, then you have a decision to make.
                            "Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

Comment

My Rem 721 in 284 Win with 27" barrel was cerakoted with Graphite Black. It has been around three years now and looks great.
                              "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Working...
                              X