Opinions for a new rifle for SIL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by msgtmike View Post
    Looking at what you can actually get... Tikka... thinking your choices will be (in .284) the 7-08 and the 7 Rem Mag.
    Can't find a .280 in a Tikka on their site myself.

I recently purchased a T3x Tikka Synthetic Hunter in 7-08. It's one of the most accurate rifles that has come home in several years. I bought it for my annual trips west after antelope and mule deer, as it's one of my favorite rounds, but I wouldn't call it my elk rifle.

The 7mm Mag is definitely an elk rifle, and recoil isn't too much for an experienced shooter. More than a few think it's over the top for recoil. Having owned 7-08's, .280's, and 7mm Mags over the last few decades, I've trimmed my 7mm collection to a pair of 7-08's. I have a set of .35 Whelen's for elk and such.

When it comes to variety and ease of finding factory ammo, the 7RM not far behind the .30-06. When you point your rifle at an elk, the elk will not be able to tell the difference between a .30-06 and a 7RM. If I needed to haul my elk rifle all over the mountains, the .30-06 is usually shorter and lighter than the 7RM's. If you like the thought of a flatter shooting elk round, try feeding that old .30-06 a 150gr/165gr TSX or TTSX.

Tough call for the most part. At least there's no bad choices in the mix.
    Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts; they have really been helpful.
      Will keep you posted.
      Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
      He who knows not and knows he knows not is wise.

Comment

Too bad I am not going to the Shoot. I would have taken my Post 64 Win Mod 70 Featherweight in 30-06. Took the Win plastic toy stock and put a H&S sporter stock on it. Excellent shooter and recoil is not bad. It is my primary hunting rifle.
        "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Tikka in a 270 Win or 3006 Spr. Either would be hard to beat and can do anything you NEED to do. Jack O Conner proved that with the 270 Win years ago. If ur thinking about the grandkids and recoil. Barnes makes some 85 gr, 95gr, 110 gr, bullets for the 270 Win that will help tone that recoil down( and impressive velocity potential too).

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            Tikka in a 270 Win or 3006 Spr. Either would be hard to beat and can do anything you NEED to do. Jack O Conner proved that with the 270 Win years ago. If ur thinking about the grandkids and recoil. Barnes makes some 85 gr, 95gr, 110 gr, bullets for the 270 Win that will help tone that recoil down( and impressive velocity potential too).
            Leaning toward 270WIN sicne there are so many family rifles in that caliber already. Makes handloading simple that way.

How do you like the Barnes bullets on deer?

Comment

Barnes (esp the TTSX) is a great bullet for deer. The 110 gr is like lightning. They will expand and penetrate fine. Keep em light and fast ( I have yet to tag a deer with the 95 gr.... thats on the 2018 deer season to do list.) Now I must say Nosler 130 Gr Accubond. There aint been a deer made that can take it in the ribs and survive it. I guess thats why i like 270 Win so much it was designed for the American sportsman and it keeps on working great.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                Funny thing about Jack O'Connor. Just after he retired he was interviewed by Jim Carmichael, his replacement. He asked O'Connor what cartridge would he go with to hunt all of North America if he was restricted to one? He replied without hesitation, "The 30-06!" Pretty much says it all coming from "Mr. .270".
                Paul B.

Comment

Very true about the 3006 Spr. Paul Its a fine round as well and extremely versatile. Didnt mean to shortchange it at all.

Comment

Update time:

Ordered a Tikka T3 Lite with a Nikon 2.5-10 BDC scope and Talley mounts. It all got here yesterday, and I got scope mounted last night.

Tikka does not chamber 280REM, so going with family consensus, I got it in 270WIN. Since it is lightweight (5.9#) I figured it would kick less than 30-06. Will mainly be used for whitetail and under, maybe an elk once or twice.

I'm bringing it to Breckenridge to sight/break-in.

Thanks to one and all for your opinions. You are all a great bunch.
                    Last edited by olyeller; 1 week ago. Reason: correction of rifle weight

Comment

Tikka is a great choice. Looking forward to seeing it. (Don't know about the 270. Will try to keep an open mind though.)
                      Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Hey my friend, 270 is a great cartridge.
                        Have a wee bit of Glenmorangie, will help disposition.
                        "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Comments on my disposition (which is excellent, by the way— a model for all!) from a grumpy old Marine are ignored.
                          Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Now I really really have to wonder why you went with the .270????????? After all, Elmer Keith said it was a great cartridge for chipmunkies and a fair coyote gun.
                            Paul B.

Comment

Seems I remember our Elk guide telling us the 270WSM "just flat kills them" and is all his wife will shoot and him most of the time.....but not to start that old discussion again.

Why shoot a 10ga when a 12 will do just fine?

Comment

Working...
                              X