98 Mauser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Mauser

Hey all, in the late 1980s I traded a Universal M1 carbine for a sporterized 98. Someone did a nice job on the rifle.. The barrel was turned, getting rid of the sight mount and allowing the installation of a bead front sight on the barrel and a peep mounted on the receiver. All mounted in a walnut Boyd's monte carlo stock with an 1 1/4" military sling. But it threw shots all over the target. I figured someday I'd get a 3006 barrel for it, thinking the original was shot out, and put it in the safe. I got the casting bug last year and started dropping bullets for my 30 cals. I decided to slug the 98 and it slugged at .3236. Not bad.
    I made some cast loads and tried the rifle out again. Pretty much the same results. I tried sliding a dollar bill between the barrel and stock. The bill didn't go in at all! I'm asking myself why I didn't check this before. I got some pillars to bed it. I removed the barrel/receiver and trigger guard and found out it was epoxy pillar bedded already. I got a hunk of sand paper from a belt sander and wrapped it around an appropriate sized deep well socket and went to sanding until I got the barrel floated. It's a whole new ball game now. I'm excited like I just got a new rifle! I haven't shot it yet. because of the rainy weather, but I'll report back on the results. I'm using a Lee sizer honed to .3245 with the 175gr Lee mould.
    It really surprised me that with all the work the previous owner did to the rifle that the barrel wasn't floated. Thought I'd share my surprise. lol

Keep us posted. Guess I'm a dinosaur, but I refer a good 1898 Mauser over almost every modern sporting rifle.
    "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

The 8 Mike Mike never got a fair shake over here because of people not liking the metrics. Perhaps if they renamed it 32 Express? Nowadays people want metrics. The .264 Creedmore would have never caught on.
      Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

I finally got to the range yesterday. I decided to sight in at 50yds. I tried the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook load of 35gr of 4895 for the Lee 175gr cb with gas checks. The 98 didn't like that load at all. A ragged 3" group. Then I tried some loaded with 20.5gr of 2400. Nice. Avg group of around 1". One group of 3 printed 3/4" with 2 holes touching. I quit right there feelin' good. Next range day will be at the 100yd berm with the Ohler. Jacketed and cast. By the way, with all the rain we've had, the pistol berm was showing lots of lead. My grandson and me came prepared with some buckets, our homemade bullet sifter and a shovel. We sifted 161.7 lbs of bullets (weighed in the plastic buckets). Sounds like a lot but it was only 3 buckets with bullets about 4 or 5" deep in each bucket.

Comment

That 2400 load sounds interesting. I have a Lee
          90274 mould. How fast do you think they are going?
          Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Originally posted by Charley View Post
            Keep us posted. Guess I'm a dinosaur, but I refer a good 1898 Mauser over almost every modern sporting rifle.
            Well, from one dinosaur to another, I agree. All my customs are based on the 98 Mauser.
            Paul B.

Comment

I've built a 22/250 (1909 Argentine, 98 variant), a 308, a 338/06 and a 35 Whelen on 98 actions. Guess it's cheating, built a 257 Roberts on a 95 action!
              "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Dang I didn't know I was a dinosaur, I just thought I was older than most kids... I have more than a few 98's, 96's and even an 88, to have managed to keep one of each in its original mil spec config.. Used and ugly LOL. I have built or had built the 98as into 8mm-06, 35 Whelen, 9.3x57mm and a 6.5x06. Right now I am working on putting together a 338-06. One of the 96's is a 257R and one is a 6.5x57mm (6.5x257R) none of them bigger than the 6.5s have had a jacketed bullet shot through them, all cast for them and they are decent for hunting deer and the occasional soda can. I am sure the 338 will be jacketed but its still all over the bench and I do not have a 338 cast bullet mold LOL. The old 88 is the .318mm dia barrel so it only gets cast now too, but for a well used mil rifle it shoots the .220dia, 210gr cast bullets really well.

Comment

deaddog, I cruised the Boolit forum looking for info and found someone chronied their 8mm Lee 175gr with 18gr 2400 at 1644 fps. So I'm guessing 20.5gr at 1700-1800?
                  I'll be able to tell you after I get a chance to hit the range again.

Comment

I have to tell you "dinosaurs" that I have become a recent Mauser fan. Working that mauser bolt feels soo right. Now I know where my A303 got that feel. Ha

Comment

Of course, the BAD NEWS is the 1888 "Mauser" isn't, it is a Mannlicher.

Comment

Originally posted by Charley View Post
                        Plus 1, My latest custom rifle was built on a new Dumolin-Herstal Mauser 98 action. 338/06.
                        NRA Endowment member
                        NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
                        TSRA member
                        NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
                        NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
                        Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
                        BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

Here's another rifle built on a '98 action.

Comment

My 98 shoots heavier bullets far better than light ones 150s are like shotgun patterns, 180s about 3", 195 and sometimes gets 1 1/2". All at 100 yards. Mine wears a Bishop stock, new bolt handle and a low scope swing safety. Killed a ton of whitetails.
                            Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Bojac, what's the shape of the nose on your bullet. Is it a bore riding nose or something else? Bore rider would give the best results if it's a snug fir in the bore. Easy test is stick the bullets into the muzzle. If it's slightly engraves or a tight fit it should give good accuracy. If the fit is a bit sloppy. really good accuracy may not be forthcoming. Look for pictures of the Lyman's #311291 or #311284 (170 and 220 gr.) I shoot to get an idea of a bore riding bullet.
                              Paul B.

Comment

Working...
                              X