Savage Axis II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swampshooter View Post
    BarryD, at my age YES. When younger I could shoot a good aperture sight (peep) just as well as I could a scope as long as the target was visible. although no one can shoot well at anywhere over almost point blank range with the iron sights put on factory rifles. Oh, you can kill deer with them if it is still light enough to see your sights, but a deer is a very large target.
    I know what you mean. My last time out a couple of weeks ago I was shooting my Sig M400 using iron sights. It was over cast with light rain. Was a struggle to get a good sight picture at 175yrds. My age is catching up with me.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman777 View Post

buy quality once cry once
      buy cheap five times Cry 5 times and then still have to spend the money for quality. Not to mention the time and frustration of dealing with junk scopes.
      Hi Woodsman.
      Absolutely. ' Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten'.

Comment

I purchased that rifle in .308 and it came with the Bushnell 3X9 scope. It's (the scope) okay out to 100yrds., but much past that and you'll wish you had better. The rifle is a tack driver and the wood stock is a big plus over the composite. I bedded the stock and put a Weaver 6X24X44 on it. I haven't found a good load for 600yrds yet, but 1/2MOA at 300 with factory 168gr. was no problem. You should get that or better from the 6.5 from the get go .BTW,You'll love that trigger.

Comment

Barry, Congrats on your purchase. As for cheap scopes I have several and there are several faults that reveal themselves over time.

Some will simply not take the recoil of anything much bigger than a .243. I scrambled one on a .375 Winchester (basically a souped up 38-55) in, IIRC, 8 shots. Reticle came apart.

Poor glass is another culprit but it has been getting much better over the years. These days some cheap scopes have the clarity of scopes costing far more.

The biggest challenge I've found with less expensive scopes is parallax. Parallax is best revealed by seating your rifle firmly on a rifle rest, aimed at a very clear target. If you move your eye back and forth or up and down you will see the crosshairs "drift" across the target. This parallax can vary at range and can make a real mess out of trying to shoot with precision accuracy. For most hunting they will work fine but for long range hunting, or most serious target shooting, parallax is a real heart breaker. When dealing with parallax the key is placing your face behind the scope in the same place every time you aim it. Much like shotgun shooting your cheek weld on the stock becomes very important. If you have consistent technique, and sight the rifle in using that technique, you'll be fine, But if you sight it in at the bench and then use it offhand or prone don't be surprised if the point of impact changes. If you go back to the bench it will be right on. (This often is the same reason that point of impact on a rifle varies from shooter to shooter.) Keeping the same exact cheek weld can be a challenge when hunting in rough terrain.

If you know the scope's limitations you will get along just fine. Until I learned this many years ago I was very frustrated with my shooting at times. Even selling a couple of guns I thought were inaccurate. Looking back I'm betting that it was a scope problem.

I'm trying not to jump on the junk scope bandwagon because some cheap scopes are not all that bad and I certainly don't mean to criticize your package gun choice. I've bought a couple of Savage Packages myself. Lived with them for a while swapped some scopes to other guns over time etc. Still worth the price you paid and more.

Also, like you I was a late adopter of scopes on rifles. As stupid as this seems, at first I had a heck of a time finding game in scopes. I'd get the gun to my shoulder and look here and there through the scope. Took forever to find what I wanted to shoot. I had to learn to point my gun as I brought it to my shoulder, almost like pointing a shotgun. I actually had to practice the concept a bit to get good at it. I'm sure it was compounded by being a one eye closed shooter due to cross eye domination.

Hope you enjoy your new toy. RD
          Last edited by Rockydog; 2 weeks ago.
          Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

RD thanks for sharing your experience. So parallax is less prevalent in higher end scopes?

Comment

Originally posted by BarryD View Post
              RD thanks for sharing your experience. So parallax is less prevalent in higher end scopes?
              That's what I've been lead to believe. I'm starting to spend more on my lower power scopes. If I catch the right sales you can sometimes find good deals on closeouts and refurbished scopes. I know parallax can be more easily detected at the higher power limits of scopes. RD
              Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

When trying to deal with a cheap scope if you'll back your eye up until there is a black hallow all the way around your image then center that black hallow and sight your scope as you would an aperture (peep) sight that will help to control the excessive parallax
                NRA Endowment member
                NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
                TSRA member
                NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
                NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
                Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
                BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

Congrats on you Axis, you'll like it.
                  I bought Axis 223 for grandson, it is very accurate. I put Bushnell legend 3x9, just under $100 scope and leupold rings/bases ~ $20 on it. I did trigger job on it, but axis II have decent trigger, so it's not critical.

I own a few less savage rifles, than savage shooter, but I've only bought one pkg savage. The rings and bases, were as much as an issue, as the cheap scope, they used. There's a difference between comparing $29 bushnell and $7 rings/bases
                  (like they use) to $100 bushnell and $20 ring/base (what most call cheap) to $500 scope and $100 mounts.

My suggestion, if funds are limited and you decide to swap scope, swap rings and bases too. Leupold rifleman series bases/rings are a solid choice and affordable. Bushnell scopes in $100 range are like night and day, compared to cheapest versions and another step up to Leupold V1 or V2 (rifleman series) @ ~$200, is another huge leap in quality.
                  If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                  Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Working...
                  X