Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mount and base

what is this one ?

Not sure I've ever seen anything like it before? What firearm is it on?

HBC

Comment

Before I firmed up my guess, I'd want to see the whole thing. I'm going out on a limb here, but methinks it just might be a transit, not a scope. More later, maybe ---
      -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
      -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Plunger style detachable mount. Many worked with B&L scope bases. Probably made in Erie PA.

Comment

Thanks Bear. Although have seen a match started with B&L on eBay. To the others if I had it on a gun I wouldn’t need to find a base!!!! It is a leupold plainsman scope. Trying to see it I can match the ring set up to a base. I only have the pictured scope and top half of the mount.

Comment

Those are B&L rings and plunger. (Kuharsky) eBay usually lists matching bases for different makes and models of rifles. Windage and elevation adjustments are in the base. Here is what the bases look like.

Comment

Right on OFFFHAND, Kuharsky rings (Erie Pa, long gone now) and B&L (Baush & Lomb) basess. those shown are on a Remington 700, long action. I have a set as shown.

Note B&L bases can fit either long or short actions (like the Rem 700). And the B&L rings can fit either long or short actions; jusy a quick change of the flat spring on the ring assembly. However the Kuharsky rings are different for long actins than for short actions. I've changed the B&L rings to adapt to both length, but never saw a plunger change for the Kuharsky mount/rings. The Kuharsky plunger is a quick change mount, just push the plunger in by moving the scope tube.

Comment

Thompson Center built a plunger mount that functioned in the very same way. The rings and plunger are one unit and the base another. There were also adapters available for different guns. These mounts were heavily built. In fact, probably over built. Spacing between the rings is barely large enough to get even the vintage scope between them. Very little eye relief adjustment possible.

The spring is hell for stout. I can't depress it without the scope mounted and worry about damaging the scope when pressing hard enough to detach the ring portion from the base.

I should mention that I was gifted this by another member on here as he thought I could use it on my octagon barreled .45 Colt Contender. It was a no go without an adapter. I don't think it was ever mounted.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181206_224742664.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	826284
                Last edited by Rockydog; 3 days ago.
                Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Here's a photo with the vintage Tasco scope attached. I haven't tried a modern scope. I doubt that it would fit between the rings or clear the bottom of the bracket. I don't think a nickle would fit between the bracket and the bottom of the turret.This particular base was designed for an adapter or an octagon muzzleloader barrel. TC would send you a free modified hammer if the hammer would not clear the rear scope bell. RD

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181206_225619364.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	826286
                  Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

The difference between the T/C mount and the B&L base is the B&L base has the scope adjusstment in the base. So the B&L mount uses a scope without any turets, a clean tube; so on a rifle, eye relief is easy because the whole length of the scope body can be used.

Comment

Mr. Bear hits the target about the vintage B&L (Kuharsky Bros.) mounting systems and knows whereof he speaks. For further explanation: when B&L designed and made their first scopes they were determined that they not only be optically superb, but also be more waterproof than other scopes of that era. Since one of the major causes of moisture leakage (led to fogging, making the scope inoperable) around the adjustment turrets, B&L eliminated the problem by simply eliminating internal adjustments. Which necessarily mandated an adjustable mounting system, as shown in attached pics. Here an an early "flat spring) mount and a later plunger type. The system was extremely reliable, with the scope held solidly in V-ways, with adjustments being eccentric cams. Sighting-in could be frustrating at times, but once fixed, the zero lasted forever. Which is why the system was favored by high end gunmakers (Weatherby, etc.)and widely used by serious big game hunters. The American made B&L scopes were the Rolls Royce's of hunting optics, with prices to match, but so good that sixty years later they still compare well with today's scopes.

Comment

I was just focusing on the plunger part, not necessarily the adjustment part.

The windage adjustment part on the B&L is very evident. How did they accomplish the elevation? Shims?
                        Last edited by Rockydog; 2 days ago.

Comment

The elevation adjustment, in the rear base, is an eccentric cam that raises or lowers the scope when turned. Think of a wide out-of-round wheel with a V-shaped groove around the edge and you'll get the idea.

Comment

MY B&L rear has two sides of a vee-block, on a common threaded rod, each side is counter rotating with the other. when you turn the rear rod both vee-blocks move inward pushing the rea of the scope upward. the threads are fine so the adjustment is smooth perfectly adjustment.

The advantage with these mounts is:

-The scope can be perfectly sealed (waterproof) no turrets.
                            -Scope can be changed to another rifle without needing to be recited.
                            -a higher or lower power scope can be changed out instantly.

Remember when these scope mounts were sold:
                            - all rifle scopes fogged badly (turret sealing problems).
                            -Most scopes had EXTERNAL windage & elevation adjustment (Unertle, Fecker, Lyman)
                            -no variable power scopes were available.
                            -scopes were expensive (so one scope could be used on 5 or 6 rifles).

Comment

Working...
                            X