Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post 1905 Marlin 93 in 32 winchester special; Reloading project.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post 1905 Marlin 93 in 32 winchester special; Reloading project.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	829319Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	829321Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	829322Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	829320Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	49.1 KB ID:	829323
    Last edited by Lizardkinged; 1 week ago.

It's after the first of the year and I've decided to start reloading for this rifle. I shot my first deer with it around 20 years ago, and I believe it's the last time it's been shot... Unless my dad took it out just to shoot it which I honestly doubt. I've always had a romance with this firearm. It was never available all that much to me growing up. My father doesn't want to "shoot it out" despite the notion of that being more dogmatic and sentimental to which I've respected my entire life... It's my great grandfather's then my grandfather's, and while technically is still my father's it's now in my care and I never see ammo for it available in stores and it's been drying up online when it's not over 24 dollars a box. I decided that for the cost of 3-5 boxes I could just make 10. Obviously you all know the drill, even more savings the longer I load. This sucker has the 11rd tube mag! I debated putting it in the battle rifles Lol. I doubt I've ever thrown more than 5 in it though.

This is the reason I'm such a 30-30 snob. Obviously it's a fine cartridge, but to be completely fair the 7.62x39 has similar if not slightly better ballistics at half the cost and are in more effective weapons. When 30-30 was still in Black powder... obviously the 32WS was slightly superior but at current standards the 30-30 in my opinion is more capable and versatile. Opinion moment: I feel like if I'm going to shoot a lever gun and I'm not looking for maximum performance in the first place, I can reload these for around 6 dollars cheaper than a box of 30-30; and when I want to make more brass for the 32WS... I can just go shoot the 30-30 as I've just necked up all of my 30-30 brass.

This is an economy thing just as much as an availability thing; While I understand there are going to be a lot of suggestions for cast bullets, I'm interested... I think I'd like to wait until projectiles themselves start to become more scarce. I currently don't cast and have NO interest in casting for anything else PERIOD. Down the road I'll be rocking some trail boss and lead bullets I'm sure!

For now I'm just going to start with the 170gn Speer Hot Core, and may move into the Hornady offerings too, but mostly for getting more of the round nosed profile. The Hot cores are designed for Tube magazines, but are still a bit pointed. My manuals are all suggesting CFE223 as a better powder (of what I have on hand), but also IRM4895, and Win748 (which I only use in my BR). I also think I might want to try the Leverevolution powder. Disassembled a .32 Win. Special Hornady ftx round and weighed the powder. Won't be hard to duplicate round if I want to spend some $$ for some reason.

Comment

A few years ago, I inherited a very nice M94 32Win Spl. It was my Grandfather's deer rifle and I've yet to shoot it As for the 7.62x39 being equal. It is a great round if not shooting surplus ammo, but I'm not sure it could ever handle a 170 gn bullet and still be supersonic, but I'm not sure.
      Please let us know how the reloading goes and what kinds of bullet/powder combinations you try and results. I may just get the itch to go get a set of dies for mine!

Comment

What a beautiful old veteran! You are very fortunate to have it, especially with the family connection.

BTW, correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think the 30-30 cartridge was ever loaded with black powder.
        Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Agree with Plainsman, a far as I am aware, the 30 WCF (its original name) was always a smokeless cartridge. What is the bore diameter? I have an 1893 Marlin in 32/40. Bore diameter is .322, standard .321 bullets for the 32 Special and 32/40 group around 12 inches at 50 yards. I load an 8mm cast FN bullet, intended for the 8x57, sized to .323, and it does pretty well.
          "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

I think you guys are right about the 30-30. I could have sworn I read it someplace in the last few months but can't seem to find where I read it. If it turns up I'll post it but everything I'm looking at says otherwise.

In terms of bore diameter, I haven't slugged the bore at all but being a post 1905 model and it shoots factory ammo alright. It's been 20 years but I remember it did pretty well on paper @100 before I took it hunting and I took my first deer at about 80yds with it.

Comment

That is a beautiful rifle. My 93 is in 38-55 and has an octagonal barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizardkinged View Post

I also think I might want to try the Leverevolution powder. Disassembled a .32 Win. Special Hornady ftx round and weighed the powder. Won't be hard to duplicate round if I want to spend some $$ for some reason.
                Lizardkinged, Not to be reactionary here, but you might want to rethink that idea. From what I've read on this site and others (I'm no ballistician by far) the Leverevolution powder in the factory rounds may or may not be the same as the Leverevolution you buy over the counter. Different lots of powder may have slightly different burn rates due to manufacturing tolerances etc.

While the powder you buy over the counter is tested very carefully to match from lot to lot, powder used for manufacturing ammo may not meet those specs from lot to lot.

The ammo manufacturer tests burn rate, pressures and bullet speed in pressure guns and then reduces or increases powder charges to meet the desired velocities etc. Thus the charge weights in factory ammo might vary.

Hodgdon either has the reloading data available for over the counter powder or will answer questions about the data if you contact them on their website. Why take the chance on duplicating factory loads? RD

Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockydog View Post
                  Different lots of powder may have slightly different burn rates due to manufacturing tolerances etc.

While the powder you buy over the counter is tested very carefully to match from lot to lot, powder used for manufacturing ammo may not meet those specs from lot to lot.

Hodgdon either has the reloading data available for over the counter powder or will answer questions about the data if you contact them on their website. Why take the chance on duplicating factory loads? RD
                  Hodgedon doesn't have Leverevolution data for the 32ws listed online or in their 2018 catalogue. I'll be fine on my own, but appreciate the advice. Lot's of yahoo's out there.

I reloaded for over a year before I came to this site.

I didn't get my press on or after Christmas and just show up with no knowledge looking for load data and free advice. I came to share and contribute because I don't have a lot of peers who share my enthusiasm for firearms, and the ones that do couldn't care less about reloading and have their own emotions and anecdotal opinions on "hand-loads and handloaders" even after you show them what a difference makes and jokingly say "friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo". My brother got into letting me reload for him more recently because he saw the shot on my Coyote during deer season an saw how easily I sighted in my scope with a 2 shot zero, and then turned around and bore sighted his .270 by eye @ 25 and then zeroed @ 100 all in 5rds.

I reload for 8 calibers across 15 different chambers for now, and plan on adding on 7.62x39 this year to load up the new .310dia speer gold dots as a deer smoker round for my new SKS. I've gone through different lots in 3 of my powders, and reworked my loads for those powders. I've safely loaded my .308's 168gn match round up way beyond published max, I've safely produced low power loads in that same rifle with flat based flat point 30-30 rounds. Reload a Woodsmaster in .244/6mm rem. My biggest and only real mistake I've made reloading was when I trimmed a bunch of 6mm rem brass early thinking i had to uniform it to the smallest piece. It has since grown so it's a pretty small issue.

Measuring the charge and starting low and working up is pretty basic stuff, considering you do it almost every time you try a new type of powder or bullet. Especially when I'm not planning to chase velocity or go anywhere near max in my family heirloom LOL.

Comment

First loads off the press this afternoon. Probably won't get to shoot till monday.

Some of the pieces of brass we're fairly short so I just went ahead and tossed about 7 pieces that we're all shorter than I wanted to trim all the brass to. Only ended up about .007 short of reccomended COAL when seated just to the cannelure. Tossed 5 in the tube mag, and they cycled fine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	829578Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	829579Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	74.6 KB ID:	829580
                    Last edited by Lizardkinged; 1 week ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X