80% lowers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80% lowers

Looks like an inexpensive way to pick up a few lowers. If they can be completed with success. I have a Bridgeport type mill that I can use. Billett 6061 or forged 7075? I wonder about the legality of traveling across state lines with one unmarked. Thinking fully engraved with name ,city,state and a sn would be best.
    I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Best to drill first then clean up with the mill. The side load can cause the mill bit to flex and cut outside of the lines of the jig.

Buying them with a finish doesn't make much sense to me. You cut into it and need it redone.

As as far as inexpensive goes they are usually $20 more than a finished one. I suppose if you factor in the transfer fee they are about the same.
    Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

I picked up quite a few lowers for $30-40, recently while 80% were going for $80 + jig. In couple minutes of searching, confirmed prices are still $30-$40. I never saw advantage myself, they already know you have firearms. They're as likely to change their rulings on completed 80% lowers, as they did on bump stocks and they soon will on AR/AK pistols and other firearms..
      Columbia Falls, MT
      If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
      Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Thanks Robert. Looks like a stripped lower is the way I want to go.
        I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

Originally posted by wheezengeezer View Post
          Looks like a stripped lower is the way I want to go.
          Without a doubt. Even with the better jigs, it's a time consuming PITA, and 80% lowers are often more expensive than a new stripped lower from Anderson. And you do need to get the process right, or the lower is a hazard. If you get a curious moment, start with the 6061 alloy as they are quite a bit easier to work with.

That said, if the Democrats get their way, they might come in handy. I know a few guys that have purchased large quantities of unfinished lowers, they will sell for a much inflated sum if the bad people get the upper hand in congress.
          Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

LPKs and bolts were real hard to come by and sold for premium, last shortage. I know people who stashed just stripped lowers, for SHTF, they're just paperweights, unless you can build them out. I would bet there's more demand for LPKs and bolts, both for build outs and repair, in next shortage, than 80% lowers. It's just as likely, for them to ban sale, of any part, as it is receiver. Bolt, barrel, barrel extension, and springs, are far harder to machine, in home shop, than alum parts.
            Columbia Falls, MT
            If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
            Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

I may buy a complete gun with an 80% lower and a finished lower. Saw one in 300 blk for under 400. I want a deer caliber.

Comment

I may buy a complete gun with an 80% lower and a finished lower. Saw one in 300 blk for under 400. I want a deer caliber.
                7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel are better deer rounds, than 300blk, unless you're going to get a can for it. I have all three, 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel are more comparable to a 30/30, 300blk is more like a modern M1carbine.

Most people get one lower and extra uppers, to switch chamberings. If you bought the AR in 300blk, you could buy/build 223/556 upper and push out two pins, to swap uppers on your lower.
                Columbia Falls, MT

Comment

Originally posted by RobertMT View Post

7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel are better deer rounds, than 300blk, unless you're going to get a can for it. I have all three, 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel are more comparable to a 30/30, 300blk is more like a modern M1carbine.

Most people get one lower and extra uppers, to switch chamberings. If you bought the AR in 300blk, you could buy/build 223/556 upper and push out two pins, to swap uppers on your lower.
                  Every word.

.300BO is NOT a Deer Round with any legs on it, consider it a handgun round in a carbine, good enough if range is short, and I mean short.

The very low velocity available turns the explosive V-Max into a 110 gr nicely mushrooming hunting bullet at point blank range(a very nice SD round imo).
                  A 30 Cal. thick-jacketed Hunting bullet like the interbond or interlock might as well be FMJ.

Comment

I want a deer caliber.
                    You might want to take a look at the .300 Ham'r from Wilson Combat.

I went with a barrel, the 18" Tactical Hunter, as a complete upper was not in my wallet range. I installed it on a Anderson Sporter Upper, (no forward assist), and Anderson stripped lower. PSA ran a sale on their upgraded nickle fire control group, and the Nickle BCG, added JP 3.5lb Springs, and a 15" free floated handguard, and mounted a Leupold 2X-7X in UTG one piece ring set . Pretty sure it's still under $600. Lee dies work fine and are available from Wilson, along with RCBS dies. It's fairly simple to reform 223 brass, but I also bought a couple hundred Starline/wc cases.

The Ham'r is designed for hunting larger varmints and deer, antelope, and hog size game. You can hit .30-30 speeds with bullets in the 110gr-130gr range in my rifle, including the 130gr Speer FP, and Wilson lists loads to 150gr. I also found that 150gr Magnus cast bullets shoot really well out to 100yds with 7gr of Trail Boss, (which I used to fire form .223 brass). It uses standard magazines, and requires no extra mods or parts.

Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

That sounds like a fairly viable option, if you can make 30-30 velocities, there are no shortage of 30-30 good designed hunting bullets, even some nice pointy Spitzer designs to help reduce velocity shedding.

Comment

Besides just wanting a prroject; I assume the reason for getting an 80% and finishing it is to avoid a serial number?

i'm not an AR guy.

Comment

Yeah, that is about the only thing to them.

You lose the hard anodized corrosion and wear protection where you milled and drilled, you can't sell it without a serial number, neither can your kids who inherent it.
                          Yet some folks think they are really putting one over on Uncle Sam with them.

To each their own, I am not enamored with them.

Comment

You can have one engraved with your name,city ,state,and a serial number of your choosing.

Comment

Originally posted by Damannoyed View Post
                              Yeah, that is about the only thing to them.

You lose the hard anodized corrosion and wear protection where you milled and drilled, you can't sell it without a serial number, neither can your kids who inherent it.
                              Yet some folks think they are really putting one over on Uncle Sam with them.

To each their own, I am not enamored with them.
                              There is not a part in the lower that as anything else moving on it other than the take down pins. The aluminum that lowers are made of is in itself pretty corrosion resistant. A squirt of T9 has kept the innards of mine nice and shiny over that last 5 years living in the south on a boat in salt water. ( It just does not get worse then that period )
                              Take into account that working lowers are now offered that are made out of plastic. Even a home machined 80% lower is going to be more then enough as far as static and dynamic load goes. I am quite sure that in the future the 80% thing is going to be banned but they will never know how many are out there. Thats the point . they are as is not traceable and that is how they are going to stay. It gives the individual the choice to say " Yep I have one or two or ...... nope I don't and thats all it takes. Unless they try to kick down your door to find out. At that point they will find out the hard way in any event.

Comment

Working...
                              X