.350 Legend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scuba1 View Post
    So I guess in those states its fine to wander around the woods with a 700 Nitro Express ..... because ...... straight walled
    No. Here in southern Michigan we are limited to a straight walled case , but no shorter than 1.16" and no longer than 1.80"..

Comment

Originally posted by shaffe48 View Post
      In this case probably more thought went into it than you'd think.
      In this example I agree, but looking at firearms legislation on a regular basis, (in fact MOST legislation), I think I'm more right than wrong They are largely clueless.
      Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

Glad I don't live in one of them states full of bureauridiots.

Regarding 350 legend, meh, I'll keep my treinta-treinta.
        It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
        He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

Same here Olyeller.
          I can even understand building this somewhat anemic cartridge in order to satisfy the eurocrats of some states. The bit I object to is that Winchester is " bending" the numbers to try and make it look like something that it is most certainly not. False advertising to sell this thing to folks who do not need it.
          The H in ENGINEERING stands for Happiness

Comment

I think it's an interesting cartridge. Somewhat reminiscent of the 38-55. Certainly something for a handloader to play around with and get some chuckles out of. I'm wondering if a Martini Cadet would stand up to it. Or maybe Ruger will bring the #3 back in it. I'd buy one, despite all the nay-saying.
            Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Big write up in American Rifleman this month on it. Funny, actual test velocity from one of the rifles was 2090 FPS or so, with the 180 grain bullet. Maybe 50-70 FPS faster than published date for the long obsolete 351 WSL. Nothing new, except it come in bolt actions and locked breech auto loaders The 351 was only available in one rife and a blowback action.
              "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Originally posted by Charley View Post
                Big write up in American Rifleman this month on it.
                And it's an interesting read too.

Looks like a lot of action from ammo and rifle manufacturers, and the specs for hunters in areas where shotgun slugs were mandated make the .350 a good option.

Comment

250 for a complete upper.
                  I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

Other than fire in an AR15, what's it going to do that the .375 Winchester has done since the 1960s? 375 Win 200 Grain bullet at 2100 FPS and 350 Legend 180 grain at 2200 FPS. Big woop.....
                    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

375 cases are easy to find?
                      Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

375 Winchester brass has been tough to find since the great shortage. I've been using 38-55 in mine for lower end cast loads.
                        "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Originally posted by Plainsman View Post
                          375 cases are easy to find?
                          Starline :-)

Comment

Local Cabelas had a bunch of items for the 350 Legend. I like oddball stuff, but for this, I would have to come across an amazing deal for me to get into it. I have a 351 WSL, 35 Remington and load for a Contender (dear ol' dad's) in 357 Max. Frankly, I would rather spend the money on having a 16" 357 Max barrel made then invest in the Legend.
                            "The definition of madness is doing the same thing twice, and expecting a different result." The HIVES

Comment

I seen a fair amount of confusion about the diameter 9mm/.355. Many people believe the 350 is a .358. Bolts not closing with .358's in AR's then high pressure if they do. I don't know if correct but have heard Ohio requires a minimum .357 diameter for deer where Michigan is .35? Does that third decimal make it illegal?

We don't have the straight wall case laws here yet so we are still shotguns and pistols. I'm not going to jump into a new caliber again just yet. It certainly would have be easier if it shot .358's though.
                              Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

I agree, the initial reports were people saying that it was a .358 bore and based off a 223 case and in that configuration I would've considered building one on a Howa mini-action or something like that for my daughters to hunt with. With proprietary brass and 355 bore, it's not really appealing enough for the extra effort.

I like the basic idea though of the 350L, just as I like hunting with a 357 Max and the little bigger 357 Herrett. We all bemoan "magnumitis", but as soon as somebody introduces a low recoiling, modest power, roughly sub-200 yard deer cartridge, the distances at which most deer taken, we immediately cut it down for not doing what some larger more powerful round will do. To my way of thinking, the need for every new round to be bigger and more powerful than what's already available isn't as necessary these days as it may have been in the past. Lower recoil rounds are easier to shoot accurately and with the today's better bullet technology, improved rifle accuracy, better optics, range finders, etc, smaller rounds that people can shoot well help take advantage that.

I would guess this isn't the last commercial 35 caliber round we'll see in this realm Maybe somebody will standardize a version of the 358/223 or rimless 357 Max wildcats? 358 Grendel? I don't know what's next but I like the commercial trend towards these more modestly powered rounds. They're fun to shoot and surprisingly effective on game.

Comment

Working...
                                X