What to do with a Tikka?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a Tikka?

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06. It has the factory synthetic plus a limbsaver and a darn nice Leupold. Done with big game so it has been rotated to the back of the safe. The last times it made it out of the house was to carry when scouting for cats with my son. Seems like a bit of a waste.

I am thinking about selling it, but before I do I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the action as I could probably sell the scope and rings for enough $ to cover most of barrel. I am not a Tikka aficionado by any means so I am not sure if the action has any limitations outside of it not being suitable for large magnums. I would only re-chamber to something that works very well at 1,000 - 1,600 yards.
    Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    -Winston Churchill

I think you should take the scope and stock of the thing and send the rest to me. I would then turn it into a 6.5 - 06 AI
    The H in ENGINEERING stands for Happiness

Comment

In my opinion the best part of a Tika is the barrel.

How does it shoot now?

The '06 is pretty good at 1,000 yards...it just isn't in vogue right now. Might be surprised at 1,000 yards.

Much cheaaper selling the whole rig and getting what you really want...and faster.

It is a 2 hour drive for me to a club with a 1000 yard, and 10 minutes to a 300 yard range. So I just multiply my group size by 3.3333!

Comment

Originally posted by BEAR View Post
        In my opinion the best part of a Tika is the barrel.

How does it shoot now?

The '06 is pretty good at 1,000 yards...it just isn't in vogue right now. Might be surprised at 1,000 yards.

Much cheaaper selling the whole rig and getting what you really want...and faster.

It is a 2 hour drive for me to a club with a 1000 yard, and 10 minutes to a 300 yard range. So I just multiply my group size by 3.3333!
        It has roughly 200 rounds down it and has performed very well. It is a hunting rifle through and through. The barrel is not going to stand up to the heat generated by a long session. The punishment of the '06 is not worth it compared to pulling one of the 308's out to the line. They get to 1k a little cleaner and I have far more experience developing loads for them. I have a couple of 6.5 CM's and swap in the 6mm Dasher. They are reliable out to 1,450 as long as I am doing my part. The 6.5 starts to struggle around that point and I run out of turret at 1,620 (elevation 4,300 ft.), and it is a feather in +15 mph winds at 1,760. The Dasher can be pushed harder but at the end of the day it is too light for strong winds on the longer distances. I am thinking a LA may give me an option for something that will hold up better in the wind, but again I am not sure what this particular Tikka is best suited for / should avoid. Maybe I need to move to a place that has less wind...
        Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
        -Winston Churchill

Comment

Swap the barrel to a 270win and sell it to me.
          If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Working...
          X