Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d45/70
    replied
    Never seen anything on a Gibbs before Interesting.
    I'm still kinda thinking I like the 375 case .
    It'll be a build "down the road " so I can look at a lot of option alone the way.

Leave a comment:

• wheezengeezer
    replied
    Just get a couple boxes of brass and they will last a long time. Dont think you will be shootin it that much.

Leave a comment:

• Rockydog
    replied
    My apologies for being a one note Gibbs fan.

If you want a lower recoiling 8mm round with decent horsepower think about an 8mm Gibbs. Cases are made from 30-06 cases by fire forming the neck larger with bullets seated into the lands or by necking down .35 Whelen cases or 30-06 cases expanded to .357 and necked back down in Gibbs dies to get a false shoulder. Kind of a fun process. You can also get 8mm Gibbs headstamped brass from Quality Cartridge.

The 8mm Gibbs will out perform an 8mm mauser and fall somewhere between an 8mm/30-06 and an 8mm Magnum. It will push a 170 Grain Spire point bullet to over 3100 fps and 220 grain bullets to within a whisker of 2800 fps.

See post #39 on this link for data: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph....762456/page-2

Click image for larger version  Name:	8mm Gibbs 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.2 KB ID:	844430

Leave a comment:

• TC730w
    replied
    That's right, I've made a lot 7-30 Improved cases from 30-30 brass and the shoulder is a fair bit forward from a standard 30-30. The 7mm International Rimmed is a closer approximation to a 7mm-30-30. It has the long neck but a steeper shoulder and less body taper.

Leave a comment:

• d45/70
    replied
    The shoulder is in a different spot , have to fire form the brass.

Leave a comment:

• BEAR
    replied
    7-30 waters??? It is a 30-30 necked down to 7mm. if you neck a 7-30 waters up to 30 cal, you got a 30-30 again!

Leave a comment:

• d45/70
    replied
    The boys 30 waters is fun too

Leave a comment:

• BEAR
    replied
    Two excellent reasons!

love my 30 Herret.

Leave a comment:

• d45/70
    replied
    just because it's different and not everyone has one!!!!!!!!!!

That's right...

Leave a comment:

• hockeynick39
    replied
    Think is what got us into this mess in the first place. Now NEED on the other hand is completely different! I agree that if you want something, but brass is hard to come by, go with the .338 Lapua. But, I'm not you, and knowing me, I would still be going after that 8mm Mag, just because it's different and not everyone has one!!!!!!!!!! Good luck and stay safe!

Leave a comment:

• BEAR
    replied
    Maybe you really need a 338 Lapua. lots of good bullets. 3,300 fps+.

The 358 Norma also fills your void.

Leave a comment:

• TMan51
    replied
    Originally posted by d45/70 View Post
    [SIZE=16px]What about a 8mm Remington Magnum?

I looked at brass and it is out of sight.
    That's two good reasons not to buy one.

I'm sure it's one of the better elk cartridges, that died in the cradle, but the availability of bullets is very limited, and reworking .375 brass isn't exactly cheap.

If you want that kind of performance, the .340 Weatherby has decent tenure in the market, (still not cheap). The .338 Winchester is an even better choice.

Leave a comment:

• Charley
    replied
    Somewhere up there, Ollie Winchester is pointing at the Mauser brothers and laughing. "Ha, Ha, at least they say my name correctly!" Wilhelm and Paul are saying back, "At least we made guns, not whimpy shirts!"

Leave a comment:

• d45/70
    replied
    OK then Mauser

Leave a comment:

• Charley
    replied
    Good thing that are dead. I suspect Wilhelm and Paul wouldn't care much for the name change.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X