22 lr/l/s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 lr/l/s

It seems most .22s these days, at least semis, only take Long Rifle .22s. I have an old Rem Speedmaster (?) tubular semi that takes all three .22 configs. Problem is that I simply cannot find Longs or Shorts anywhere these days, only LRs. I'd like to find shorts for shooting small vermin (chipmunks, starlings) on and around my property. Seems to me that shorts would be sufficient for short range. And although I live in a very rural area where people don't frown and fuss over the sound of gun shots, as I remember, nonetheless, shorts are quieter than LRs.
    Proud to be a NRA member!

There use to be a significant difference in price of shorts vs long rifle. Once that difference was gone, and short cost the same or more, folks abandoned shorts. It is difficult to design a semi, blow back action to take different loads.

Comment

CCI used to make something akin to shorts. Also they make CB caps. I live in town but the lots are large and wooded and the CB caps work great for the squirrels that won't stay out of my wife's flower pots.
      Never drink down stream from the herd.

Comment

My uncle used nothing but 22 Shorts for squirrel hunting. Shorts were cheaper back then, and he grew up a poor farm boy, never outgrew that part. That said, Midway has six different 22 shorts in stock plus Aquila's 22 Colobri.
        "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Cabelas usually has shorts on the shelf here ? (Tulalip store )
          also usually more expensive than LR's
          Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

https://www.cabelas.com/product/REMI...MO/1924923.uts
            Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

I shot mostly shorts when I was a kid. My old Mossberg 146B holds what seems like a half box in its under barrel magazine. I always had to be ready with a full tube in case the squirrels made a counter attack. It was seldom that I had a half box though. My dad used to dole out about 6 rounds and expected 1 per squirrel and 1 extra. The limit was 5 squirrels a day. The shorts were extremely quiet in the long barrel.

BTW, if it's quiet you are after CCI makes a great .22LR round for the purpose. Amazingly, it's called the .22 Long Rifle Quiet Ammo. Muzzle Velocity is 710 fps. That's about 100 fps less than their .22 short target round. The quiet round is also quieter than the shorts and the Long Rifle size is a bit easier for arthritic fingers to single load. They will not operate most semi-auto guns. My retired buddy uses them to dispatch squirrels at his bird feeder, in the city, after the neighbors have left for work. Actually quieter than the .22 air rifle he was using. RD

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...e=1&loadNo=960
              Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

By the way Rocky, those have 40 grain bullet, should be accurate in most barrels. I've tried the 60 gr subs, but they are not accurate enough to be useful.

Comment

HI-Vel shorts make as much noise as a LR. Standard velocity or CB's are the quiet ones. One drawback of shorts is that they tend to ricochet more than LR's. This becomes an issue in town while dispatching rabbits. Not sure how I know that?
                  I have a Marlin that will hold 23 shorts. It will probably be on a ban list as an assault rifle? CCI Quiet or Aguilla Colibri through a can - all you hear is the firing pin drop. In a semi like the Speed Master you can make it more quiet by holding the bolt shut with your offhand. This redirects the gas out the muzzle and prevents the sound of the bolt slap. Of course you have to manually operate the bolt but sometimes you just need quiet over quick.

Comment

Cabela's had a huge variety of .22s including shorts when I was there last week.

Comment

Working...
                    X