Got me a Ruger 10/22 for my birthday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got me a Ruger 10/22 for my birthday.

Today, being my birthday, I took some [most] of my allotment of cash and went to buy me a present. I'll cut back in spending elsewhere... But...

Had no .22LR autoloader rifle, as I gave my vintage Marlin 60 to my granddaughter for Christmas last year. So, bottom line... Bought a very, very clean 1986 model Ruger 10/22 and they threw in the black & red Ruger 10/22 soft case in the deal.

Cleaned the bore [for some reason no one else does] and went to my range. Was zeroed in under 5 rounds at 50m. Great trigger and the action cycled smooth and easy. Decent accuracy for a .22LR autoloader.
    Funny, the last time I had a Ruger 10/22 was in the early to mid 80's. Guess that's why it felt like it was right...

Oh well... Happy birthday to me.
    "Don't try to cover up a lack of training with a tool you don't understand."

John Lovell on upgrades.

Happy birthday, belated but.
    I did the same thing.
    Went to Albuquerque for my birthday to spend it with my kids.
    While there friend took me to Dick's Sporting Goods.
    They sell firearms, too much demand after Dick's took them out so manager brought them back.
    Found a new 10/22 for $229 so I gave myself a present.
    Does pretty good. Did not like trigger so I put a KIDD trigger in it, excellent.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Yup, at my age nearly all the older family is dead. Younger ones may text [something that I consider as impersonal and just wrong] and leave a three word message. No one will call you anymore...

So, I thought since no one I know here in my part of the country [family or friends] gives an extruded Dachshund dropping about me, it was up to me to get me a present. So I figured I "needed" a .22LR autoloader rifle. This will make a great armadillo gun! And skunks. And gophers. And....

Thanks for the birthday wishes, and a belated one back at ya! Now we can enjoy our 10/22' s like a couple old coots deserve!
      Last edited by Kit Fox; 01-07-2019, 19:11. Reason: Correct some opps...

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

I think, I'm down to one 10/22 now. I think they went for $29.99, when I got my first one, last one was north of $300, with the bell's and whistle's, (few years ago).

They can be accurate, with right barrel, stock, ammo, and trigger. If you find ammo it likes, you don't want to clean them, like a centerfire. Subsonic wax coated, take some seasoning and you don't want to remove it. I don't shoot the real expensive ammo often, but $10 a box, shoot's way better than $2 a box.
        Columbia Falls, MT
        If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
        Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Well, I've given up on cleaning my little black rifles to being über spotless, but all my other weapons are fully cleaned, oiled, and inspection ready.

When in the business, I had more than one customer bring me .22 firearms that were of the "Never Clean em" school. Most bores were at or near .170" and it amazed me how a .22 bullet squeezed through. But what do I know?

My choice was easy really. Had one ages ago. Shot the daylights outta armadillos and turtles. Then a customer was in the shop and made an offer on the 10/22. Gone...
          The new [1986 model] I got today, well its a varmint getter. I just want it to shoot "Minute of Gopher" and not set marksmanship records here in the Piney Woods. Good Marbles iron sights on it. Good trigger. Smooth shooting. Shucks, I did my "happy dance" earlier with some crappy Federal junk 22LR stuff.

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Well Happy Birthday to you! 10/22's are just plain fun. I have had at least one for I don't know how long. Had 2 identical ones for a while, one of which I loaned out to the same guy for years. Finally told him he just needed to buy it so I could justify upgrading the other one. I gave him the best components from the 2, then put the money in to a full build. Took the paint off and cleared it, then replaced everything other than the bolt. The one 'must' upgrade in them is replacing the metal bolt stop (buffer) with a polly one. It will quiet it down getting rid of the annoying clack and make the bolt last pretty much forever.

This is my build:
            Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
            -Winston Churchill

Comment

Wade, there is some interesting stuff on Rimfire Central about 10-22s and all .22s for that matter.

Comment

My goodness there's a lot of stuff you can do to these little 22's huh? This one is 33 years old and 100% stock. Dead ringer for the last one I had back in the 80's when me and my 3 other buds would go out to exterminate armadillos. We had a group called "The Texas 'Diller Killer Association". All four of us. We'd venture out into the woods and shoot as many as 30 in a day. And I did that with a plain Jane 10/22 mostly. I think I'll just keep it stock like the one I had "back in the day". Those were great times.

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Congrats on the new to you 10-22!

Probably the handiest Mod I have made to both mine and my sons, is the automatic bolt release. It’s easy to do with a dremel and a little patience.
                  Not as Lean, Not as Mean, but still a Marine!

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Happy Birthday from Lynn & Barbara. Congrats on the rifle. Never owned a 10/22 but probably should.
                    Joshua 1:9
                    Dry Creek Firewood

Comment

Happy brithday. 10/22's are my personal favorite semi-auto 22lr. Not only does ruger have a few mods for them, but by far the most aftermarket support of ANY firearm out there.

I've had mine since I was 11. (limited access of course). still one of my favorites and has been 1/2moa with the factory barrel and bolt and a Volquartsen hammer, marksman trigger, I made my own modified bolt lock/releasem and extended mag release.
                      Last edited by Lizardkinged; 01-08-2019, 10:44.

Comment

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes! Means a lot.

There's no denying that modification of weapons of mass production are often needed. My beloved 1911A1 appears box stock on the outside, but under the hood, its a whole different animal. And all for reliable function with a multitude of different ammo.

Yes, this model has the flush style mag release of the earlier model 10/22. I can see where it would be an issue likely with an extended mag. But the flush 10 rounder is plenty for me. And it fits the hands well with nothing hanging out the bottom.

The bolt lock/release? This one likely wasn't engaged much in the past. A might sticky in use. But a dash of Ballistol in the recess improved it some. Bit I'm interested in the things done with it. Always thought push back when holding the bolt back locked it open. Pulling back again on the bolt and pushing up on the release got it done. Guess I'm kinda simple huh? Didn't know of a modification for that. In my years of gunsmithing, I worked on countless DA revolvers and 1911's. A few rifles and shotguns here and there. But never had a 10/22 come across my bench. I attributed that to a solid and quality design of the weapon and the fact that most of my customers were brother officers and combat handguns being our prime weapon.

But I'll try and research the issue with the bolt lock/release and see what I can find. Thanks for the heads up on it.

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Other than a volquartsen hammer one very cheap and effective improvement in the Ruger triggers are these. They completely remove and sideplay in the trigger.

https://www.triggershims.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kit Fox View Post
                            Thanks to all for the birthday wishes! Means a lot.

There's no denying that modification of weapons of mass production are often needed. My beloved 1911A1 appears box stock on the outside, but under the hood, its a whole different animal. And all for reliable function with a multitude of different ammo.

Yes, this model has the flush style mag release of the earlier model 10/22. I can see where it would be an issue likely with an extended mag. But the flush 10 rounder is plenty for me. And it fits the hands well with nothing hanging out the bottom.

The bolt lock/release? This one likely wasn't engaged much in the past. A might sticky in use. But a dash of Ballistol in the recess improved it some. Bit I'm interested in the things done with it. Always thought push back when holding the bolt back locked it open. Pulling back again on the bolt and pushing up on the release got it done. Guess I'm kinda simple huh? Didn't know of a modification for that. In my years of gunsmithing, I worked on countless DA revolvers and 1911's. A few rifles and shotguns here and there. But never had a 10/22 come across my bench. I attributed that to a solid and quality design of the weapon and the fact that most of my customers were brother officers and combat handguns being our prime weapon.

But I'll try and research the issue with the bolt lock/release and see what I can find. Thanks for the heads up on it.
                            The modified bolt hold open makes it so that when it's bolt is held open, you can just simply pull the charging handle back and it releases instead of fiddling with the release under the trigger. It's not neccesary. Just very very common especially if you frequent a range which asks you to lock your bolt open on target checks.

As for the magazine release. I typically only use the flush mounts, and the fit somewhat tight in mine; and have never liked having to jam my thumb in there trying to leverage it out (Dropped them a few times). The extended one just drops mags right into my palm.

They're just conveniences. Creature comforts. By no means superior... just different.
                            Last edited by Lizardkinged; 01-08-2019, 12:02.

Comment

Ok, thanks guys. Interesting stuff. Doing more research will, I'm sure, educate me more on this weapon. Didn't study this one when in gunsmith school, or the 4 years I apprenticed under a master gunsmith. Again, I just figured they didn't break and folks were happy with em. But again I retired from the business 20 years ago. LOTS of things have changed! So much stuff is available today that was not even conceived then.

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                              X