No announcement yet.

Got me a Ruger 10/22 for my birthday.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing that really goes 'wrong' if at all is the barrel screw backs out ever to slightly on some. Beyond that, if you keep them clean they will run forever. As the wear out they still run, just get a little sloppy and the bolt clank gets louder. The reliability is one of the reasons I wanted to build mine. Take it out, fire the thing until you got tired of finding new thing to hit, take it home, 10 minutes of love and then back in the safe. Frankly, it kind of got boring. Still reliable as ever, still used the same exact way, just feels, looks, and sounds different.
    Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    -Winston Churchill

Comment

Though 33 years old, when I first looked at it I thought it was almost new. Then a look at the ser.# told me different. Super clean with two tiny stock dings. Not much mileage at all. Its just now gotten broken in as they say.

Oh, found three Ruger made 10 rd mags with dust covers shipped for around half a C note. I don't care for the long mags sticking out under the weapon. 10 rounders are just perfect for me. The dust covers are an added bonus as the mags can just go in a pocket and I don't have to think about dust & lint getting in the mags.

Now that the "new" has worn off this deal, I'm glad I found it. More quiet, and far more economical to operate than the little black rifles.
      Remember, the last thing a man wants to do is the last thing he does.

Comment

I still think the #1 change to make to one is the extended magazine release.

Even if you never use the banana magazines, it is a much easier release to drop the rotary into your other hand than it is to dig the thing out using the stock flush tab/button/thingie.

Bought mine @ 18. 1987. Still banging along, the old Sporter, with the mag. release change and nothing else but scoped.

Comment

I see where the new ones are made with an extended mag release. I never thought twice about it really. The model I bought in the 80's was, of course, identical to the one now in my rack. I was so used to the flush style mag release that it was second nature for me today. Years of shooting armadillos with their quick turns, jumping, and evasive action taught me to be as quick to whack 'em! I guess that the old muscle memory is still there. I always count my rounds, and when 9 were shot, I'd change mags. Funny though, right now I have one mag, and after 9 rounds I instinctively pull the mag. Course I don't have another mag to insert. Weird huh? But if a 'diller was to scoot by while loading the mag.... Pop! I'd get 'em!
          Glad I got three more on the way. Be handy in an armadillo invasion!

Comment

Originally posted by Kit Fox View Post
            Oh, found three Ruger made 10 rd mags with dust covers shipped for around half a C note. I don't care for the long mags sticking out under the weapon. 10 rounders are just perfect for me.
            Agreed. I have ONE BX25 for goofing around at the berm up north, but to actually woods walk, squirrel hunt; or whatever with it on a sling is uncomfortable and it just gets in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Damannoyed View Post
              I still think the #1 change to make to one is the extended magazine release.

Even if you never use the banana magazines, it is a much easier release to drop the rotary into your other hand than it is to dig the thing out using the stock flush tab/button/thingie
              That's what I said. Dumps them right into my palm, easy swap.

I also like the modified bolt release so that the charging handle alone can release the bolt.

Comment

I don't care for larger than 10 rd magazines for the 10/22.
                This is the magazine release that I got with my KIDD trigger. Love it.
                http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Sing...p-In_p_29.html

I got the black body and silver magazine release.
                "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Good grief! That trigger assembly cost more than the weapon itself!

I kinda go through life with the "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" attitude. To my thinking I can't justify that expenditure on a weapon that is in 99% condition, and is 100% mechanically sound. But if others want these things, who am I to say different right? I just think differently. Stock is fine.

Comment

You don't need to go with KIDD to get the release. The Ruger BX is a better trigger over stock and has it. You can watch sales and maybe find it for $65. Not sure if you can get a standard 'current' kit trigger assembly-- don't know why you could not --which should be even less.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod73082.aspx

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                    -Winston Churchill

Comment

Anyone looking for a sweet trigger just get a Volquartsen hammer and a set of shims. Dropped mine from whatever the factory pull was to barely 1 LB. A lot of the 10/22 trigger issue is a sear that is way too deep and too much interference between parts causing drag. The shims square everything to the pins eliminating sideplay and much friction. If you don't want to spend the $ for a modified hammer, there's a JB weld trick I found on Youtube . After I had already done the Volquartsen hammer swap, I tried the JB weld on the stock hammer just to see if they were full of shit. It's just a tiny bump of epoxy on the hammer that limits sear depth ans eliminates the creep and a lot of drag. It worked as well as the new hammer did. If you get too big a bump and too little engagement you tune it with a bit of 600 grit paper till it won't go off bumping the stock on the floor.

Comment

I looked at what Volksquartsen has to offer, the KIDD trigger and Ruger replacement triggers.
                        On the Ruger, the plastic body turned me off.
                        I decided the KIDD had a l little bit more to offer so I went that way.
                        True the trigger doubled the cost of the rifle but I am worth it.
                        The best part of being single is spending my money on myself. Kind of lonely sometimes but.

Comment

Not to sound rude, but I'm moving on now. Apparently I'm speaking French or something. I have repeatedly said I have no intention of modify my weapon. Yet in nearly every posting in this thread I am being told of modifications, trigger assembly, and magazine releases for this weapon. Again, I have no intention of coming off as haunty or rude, but something's got to give. I have no need to fix a perfectly good weapon. Said that many times. So I'm going to move on now to something else now, thank you. Y'all enjoy your modified models and I'll enjoy my stock piece, and we'll leave it at that.....

Comment

Ok. I won't hijack your forums from now on.

Comment

Thread locker?

-Winston Churchill

Comment

Happy belated birthday. I bought my 10/22 a few years back. Wood stock with stainless barrel. It's a gopher killing machine.

Comment

Working...
                                X