Finally Got a 28 ga!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Got a 28 ga!

I tend to gravitate toward unusual or archaic chamberings. In shotguns, I shoot 16 gauge almost exclusively. Similarly, I've always wanted a 28. Never shot one, never held one, but I just wanted one nonetheless.

But I realized it was something of a novelty for me, so I didn't want to spend $1500-$2000 to get one of the few that come up for sale around here in any given year. So when someone posted a 28 on our local gun classifieds last week, I jumped on it. It's a Yildiz, and yes, it's a Turkish economy gun to begin with. I went in knowing that. But after having seen it and fondled it for a week, I'm thrilled. The fit and finish is well beyond its price point, and oil-finished walnut stock has a lot of figure. Checkering is sharp and clean, and it has interchangeable chokes although it only came with the two in the barrels, skeet and cylinder. The wood-to-metal fit is better than my Browning Citori :-|

The seller threw in five boxes of Winchester 28 ga ammo, which was worth nearly half what I paid for the gun. It's not a Benelli, but man for the money it's nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	838650Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1029.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	838651Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.JPEG
Views:	39
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	838652Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1024.JPEG
Views:	38
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	838653Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	838654
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Austin Rifle Club Member
    NRA Certified Reloading Instructor

Has nice wood too. Looks a lot like my Beretta 686. A 28 is an absolute pleasure to shoot from a recoil standpoint. Get it out on a skeet field and you'll be reloading 28 gauge shells.
    If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Nice looking. The engraving matches the SPZ ME on their website, but the ME is only available in 12 gauge. What model is it?
      Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
      -Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by golong View Post
        Nice looking. The engraving matches the SPZ ME on their website, but the ME is only available in 12 gauge. What model is it?
        Best I can tell from looking at the Yildiz website it appears to be an SPZ M 20 or SPZ ME 20. I can't determine the difference from the specs listed. But, these shotguns were imported by Academy Sports and Outdoors for the US market, and it well could be kind a private label special.
        Last edited by Zrexxer; 05-18-2019, 11:02.
        NRA Benefactor Life Member
        Austin Rifle Club Member
        NRA Certified Reloading Instructor

Comment

That receiver looks like a jewel for being an economy gun.
          "The definition of madness is doing the same thing twice, and expecting a different result." The HIVES

Comment

My first shotgun was a 28 ga. If all I was to hunt is grouse, I might as well have that gauge as my 20. The 20 ga gives a little more versatility in the pheasants.

Comment

Shush! Best kept secret in shotties. You’ll be able to point and shoot so much faster than your buddies with 12’s. More efficient than a 20ga up to 7/8oz. Most 20’s are 12’s with a different barrel. 28’s are slimmed down all the way around. I have a SxS and OU. As was mentioned a pure pleasure to shoot and much more useful than a .410.
              Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Originally posted by deaddog View Post
                Shush! Best kept secret in shotties. You’ll be able to point and shoot so much faster than your buddies with 12’s. More efficient than a 20ga up to 7/8oz. Most 20’s are 12’s with a different barrel. 28’s are slimmed down all the way around. I have a SxS and OU. As was mentioned a pure pleasure to shoot and much more useful than a .410.
                I always thought most 28 were 20s with a different barrel.

Regardless, I know my 20 and several I've looked at were definitely different than a 12.

Comment

A few are reworked 20's. Mossberg I think? Most are the next size down.
                  Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Working...
                  X