Newbie from Florida

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from Florida

Well I'm an active shooter and new 3-gun competition and to help reduce the cost of my shooting I've decided to jump head first into reloading. A couple days ago I ordered an RCBS Turret Delux Press Kit from Midway along with shell shellrs for all the rounds I routinely shoot and dies for 223 and 9mm, other dies will come later. I picked up a bullet puller and a Hornady tumbler while I was at it. I realized after the fact that I also need a case trimmer which illIorder once I decide how much I want to spend on one. Everything else should be here tomorrow so this weekend I can mount everything on my bench.

I've been doing as much reading as I can, on the subject of reloading, on the internet and watching different videos, it is a ton of information to take in but hopefully it'll become easier to understand once I have everything setup and I can start to practice with it.
    Last edited by Mustang Man; 1 week ago.

Make sure you get a caliper, digital or analog, doesn't matter. You are going to have to measure the cases to know if you need to trim or not.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Thanks, I'm a mechanic so I've got several digital calipers that I can put into use.

Comment

Welcome to the Bench. Most of us got into hand loading thinking we were going to save money on ammo. It's possible on handgun ammo, especially if you shoot lead bullets. Light powder charges of faster burning powders are the most economical, but they may not be the best loads for your task and gun, and they can be easy to double charge. If you want to shoot jacketed 9mm bullets take a look at Precision Delta and buy them in bulk.

http://www.precisiondelta.com/products/bullets/9mm/
        If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Welcome to the board. As Ed mentioned, many of us got addicted-er I mean involved in handloading to save money. You can shoot more for the same amount of money, but saving it is tough! You won't realy need to tri your 9x19 cases, but the 223 you will. If you want to start simple and cheap, look at Lees case trimming system. Case length gauge, cutter, and shell holder will run less than $20. I chuck the cutter and length gauge in a drill press and you can trim a bunch of cases in a very short time. Cuts to minimum length, and is non adjustable, so you get the same results every time.
          "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I for sure see myself shooting more when I finally get up and running.

Comment

Mustang man You bought a very nice setup RCBS has a great warranty LEE makes good stuff for the price. I think we all end up with a little of every brand - it's like being a mechanic not everybody can afford everything snap on, Down the line you may want and affordable Digital scale and a powder tickler.

Comment

I miss my Mustangs, I sold them to roof everything at the farm.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0590.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	814876Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0568.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	814877

Comment

"67 Fastback. Mine was in Britian Blue with 289 engine. Lost it in a crack up in '69 and got a 442, gold totally decromed. Lost that one to a tree thaat jumped into the road at 125 mph. Memories of well spent youth.

Got a 2001 'stang now, Britiah Racing Green.

Comment

Hello from Va mnts.

Bought a used,'91 Gt for my oldest son's 16th Bday,much to everyone's objections.He took very good care of it and 3 years later,passed it down to his younger bros.Wash/repeat through four sons.They did 90% of the work on it....... the heater core wasn't fun.They put a clutch,water pump,and other misc maintenance.

They all moved on to college,we sold the car 10 years later for almost what we paid for it.Best car we ever had.

The same can be said of good solid reloading equipment. I'm still using stuff bought 40+ years ago,and wouldn't trade it for brand new.

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes, my first car was a 1966 Mustang coupe, I drove it most of high school until someone ran a red light and hit the car next to me and my car totalling both. I then went to a 94 GT, then bought a 95 v6 as a backup car, that was got totaled by a driver making an illegal u-turn. Now I drive a 2013 Focus ST and a 2000 Ranger 4x4. Needless to say I love my Fords.

According to tracking all of the reloading stuff I ordered arrived today so I can't wait till I get home tonight and open up the boxes and actually get to look at everything. IllIalso start reading through the hogdon manual that comes with the kit.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang Man View Post
                        Well I'm an active shooter and new 3-gun competition and to help reduce the cost of my shooting I've decided to jump head first into reloading. A couple days ago I ordered an RCBS Turret Delux Press Kit from Midway along with shell shellrs for all the rounds I routinely shoot and dies for 223 and 9mm, other dies will come later. I picked up a bullet puller and a Hornady tumbler while I was at it. I realized after the fact that I also need a case trimmer which illIorder once I decide how much I want to spend on one. Everything else should be here tomorrow so this weekend I can mount everything on my bench.

I've been doing as much reading as I can, on the subject of reloading, on the internet and watching different videos, it is a ton of information to take in but hopefully it'll become easier to understand once I have everything setup and I can start to practice with it.
                        You only need a case trimmer for .223R of what you listed (rifle rounds only).
                        SOMETIMES you will need to trim Magnum Revolver cases, but not often. I have never trimmed an autopistol case in 2+ decades (although when I started (.45 Auto) I THOUGHT I would have to,I was wrong.
                        They get SHORTER in use, not longer.

I use Lee trimmer setups, there MIGHT be something faster, dunno what when I use my small drill press and I see complaints all the time of lathe trimmers that don't hold adjustment, the Lee's are the most repeatable IMO there is, ESPECIALLY as a decent price point.

2 choices, measure all your cases (rifle) to decide when to trim or trim them every time (thin shave, if that), which is what I do.

Welcome aboard.

Comment

Welcome to the HB. We are happy to have you with us. We hope that you enjoy the site.
                          "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

“Never Retreat...Just Reload.”

Comment

Thanks, illIbe picking up a case trimmer soon haven't decided which one just yet.

I did go to the gun show today though. Only 1 booth dedicated to reloading supplessand some of their prices weren't bad compared to what I had seen online. Powder was over online prices but reasonable if you add in shipping and hazmat fee, picked up 1lb of Alliant Power Pistol and 1lb of CFE223 for $27ea, also picked up 1k CCI small pistol primers for $29, and snagged 100 Hornady 68gr hpbtm projectiles for $15.

Comment

Hey Mustang Man welcome from NY and to your new addiction..
                              You can\'t teach an old dog new tricks.........Wait do that again.

Comment

Working...
                              X