Hello from Utah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Utah

Howdy y'all, my na,e is Shane and I live in Lindon, Utah where I spend time collecting guns, shooting with my wife and kids and now, reloading my own ammo. I found this site through a Google search for reloading forums and I'm looking forward to learning, sharing ideas and hopefully contributing some of my own success stories.

Welcome to the board.
    "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Howdy and welcome Shane.
      you've found a good family place for reloading and pretty good to just hanging out in general.
      Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

How long have you been in Lindon? I remember when you could see pretty much every building in the 'city' from I-15. Now it seems like people are putting houses in the backyard's of other houses!

Do you ever go shoot coyotes or steel out by Faust/Boutler Peak? We have found cats around Black Crook Peak the last few years.
        Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
        -Winston Churchill

Comment

Hello from Virginia mnts Shane.

Fantastic that you are shooting together as a family.

Comment

Welcome from MT
            Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Welcome to the HB. We are happy to have you with us. We hope that you enjoy the site.
              "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

“Never Retreat...Just Reload.”

Comment

Hello and welcome from North Dakota

Comment

golong we just moved to Lindon a year ago, but we live in a 100 year old farmhouse surrounded on 3 sides by other horse properties and we love it I've not been out to shoot coyote yet but would l9ve to go, do you know any groups or people that would be willing to let me tag along and learn?

Comment

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Howdy from Minot ND

Comment

Attorante a guy that works in my department goes with a small group every now and again. They all shoot suppressed so I don't go. The suppressed guys can do to the group thing, us loud mouths get one maybe 2 shots and then the coyotes are gone from that area for weeks, the other groups are the younger guys that think still staying up all night is fun. Utah has a few 'long range' club type groups that seem to be made up of younger guys that shoot supressed. I do not hang with any of them so I will hold my observations close to my chest.

This is what I can tell you about the coyote hunting we have done over the years...

It should go without saying, but always have the wind in your face or blowing across. If it at your back your not going to see jack.

Coyotes on and around cattle land, like down by Nephi, Delta, or in Rush Valley, typically won't respond to calls. The best way to hunt them is get out before dawn and plant yourself on a tree line across a clearing opposite the side that has a stream bed. Coyotes will walk the stream just as the sun is coming up; they typically stay on whatever trail (cattle, deer, etc.) is running along the stream so make sure you can see that trail from your position.

Coyotes that run where the prong horn are (so out by Black Crook or Delle) are pretty hard to call but when they can be called, it is typically a coyote call - they are super sensitive and can see you coming miles and miles away so plan accordingly.

If you stay in the tree areas that run from Black Crook SW to North of Jericho you can do the young gun thing. Get a small group of 4 or so and make yourselves look like bushes. You can call them in with rabbit calls in the middle of the night. Be ready with spotlights (drive them off car batteries) and shotguns. Packs of 10 or so are not unheard of. We ran across a very large pack by accident that was hunkered down in a old trailer home at dusk one year - just about scared me to death. There was only 2 of us, and we could have easily been the prey but we scared them as much as they scared us so they took off.

The area that runs Rush Valley down to Vernon, across to Eureka, and back up to Cedar Fort is pretty fun when the rabbits are around. The military has a bunch of things going on so the hunt ground can change, but it is one of the best areas for long distance shots. Hike the areas looking for signs of large rabbit populations - the population moves. Once you find them, walk the West bank of the washes an look for coyote holes usually on the top half of the wash wall. Once you find them, find higher ground that gives you a good long line of sight to those holes and the trails around them. Get set up before the sun comes up for the best chance. I have heard stories of guys losing their dogs to coyotes out in this area. The coyotes will tease the dog and get them to give chase until they are exhausted, and then kill the dog.

I never figured out the best way to approach the coyote population that stays close to highway 6 South of Silver City. They are always eating road kill in the middle of the night, but hunting close to that highway is a really bad idea and I don't know any of the land owners to the West of 6, which is where I think those coyotes come from.

Way out West (near Goshute land) and back along I-80 East have areas that you can get road kills - just be very mindful of what DNR will and will not tolerate, with includes possible heavy problems for having a chambered round in the vehicle. Out there (especially near Goshute land) you can sit in your truck around 3:00 am and will likely be able to get kills by 5:00 am. just by watching what is walking across the dirt roads. Wounded rabbit calls work amazing well out there - get a buddy to drop you off and have them drive by every now and then - run the call when they pass you. The other word of caution is these areas can be competitive so be aware of who else is out there.
                        Last edited by golong; 3 weeks ago.
                        Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                        -Winston Churchill

Comment

golong wow, that was way more of a response than I was expecting, thank you! Its definitely something I'll look in to. I lived in Delta and Oak City as a kid and still know some land owners in that area, maybe I'll reach out. I appreciate you taking the time to share the knowledge, I'll let you know how it goes..

Comment

Hey Shane welcome...
                            You can\'t teach an old dog new tricks.........Wait do that again.

Comment

Working...
                            X