Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from Montana.

Comment

I drove past your house late May but you were not home! Well, I drove past Longmont anyway. Went to a long range class in Fort Morgan. Have you been?

Building out benches is a heck of a thing. Best advice I can give you it plan, plan, and plan. Bench height was a big issue for me. I had benches that were uncomfortable to both stand and sit at regardless of the chair height. The other thing to keep in front of you is the flow. I probably had 40 inserts in one of my old benches that allowed me to rearrange things depending on what I was doing. I modeled my current setup based on a refined version of those flows.

I have not posted the benches to the loading benches thread (guess I better get on that), but my room build thread is here:
      https://www.handloadersbench.com/for...ew-room-layout

Best of luck, and enjoy.
      Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
      -Winston Churchill

Comment

When building a new reloading room remember that there are specific requirements for powder storage. These requirements were copied from the Alliant Powder website. http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting....aspx#consider There is much more to the regulations, but the rules below apply to private transportation and home storage. I see a lot of photos of reloading rooms on websites. Many are not compliant with the storage rules. I built a magazine for my powder storage using some scrap 1" plywood used to ship a computer server. I bolded the storage requirements below. RD

Reprinted with permission from NFPA495-85, Standard for the Manufacture, Transportation, Storage and Use of Explosive Materials, (c) 1985, National Fire Protection Association, Quincy, MA 02269. This reprinted material is not the complete and official position of the NFPA on the referenced subject, which is represented by the Standard in its entirety.

10-3 SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS. 10-3.1 Quantities of smokeless propellants not exceeding 25 LB (11.3kg), in shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation, may be transported in a private vehicle.

10-3.2 Quantities of smokeless propellants exceeding 25 lb (11.3kg) but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), transported in a private vehicle, shall be transported in a portable magazine having wood walls of at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

10-3.3 Transportation of more than 50 lb (22.7 kg) of smokeless propellants in a private vehicle is prohibited.

10-3.6 Smokeless propellants shall be stored in shipping containers specified by U. S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.
        Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

RD - the NPFA is not a government organization. The codes you are citing are the consensus of their members, not government codes. Local fire ordinances determine storage for the area in which you live.

Having said that, beyond local codes and common sense, something that is on the link you referenced that some people may not think about is a well built cabinet full of powder could become a bomb.
          If a small, tightly enclosed storage enclosure is loaded to capacity with containers of smokeless powder, the enclosure will expand or move outwards to release the gas pressure - if the powder in storage is accidentally ignited.

Under such conditions, the effects of the release of gas pressure are similar or identical to the effects produced by an explosion.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
          -Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by golong View Post
            I drove past your house late May but you were not home! Well, I drove past Longmont anyway. Went to a long range class in Fort Morgan. Have you been?

Building out benches is a heck of a thing. Best advice I can give you it plan, plan, and plan. Bench height was a big issue for me. I had benches that were uncomfortable to both stand and sit at regardless of the chair height. The other thing to keep in front of you is the flow. I probably had 40 inserts in one of my old benches that allowed me to rearrange things depending on what I was doing. I modeled my current setup based on a refined version of those flows.

I have not posted the benches to the loading benches thread (guess I better get on that), but my room build thread is here:
            https://www.handloadersbench.com/for...ew-room-layout

Best of luck, and enjoy.
            That looks amazing! I may have to pick your brain a bit as my project continues. I'm going to start a thread for my build, once I have my plans "finalized."
            I wish I had that kind of space, but our current home is pretty small. I only have about seven feet of wall space to work with, as the rest of my office is pretty full workbench/storage for electronics, music, aquariums, and various other nerdy endeavors.

I have not been to the class in Fort Morgan. Was it this one: https://milehighshootingoutdoors.com...recisionrifle/ ? How was it?
            Last edited by DoubleEthan; 1 week ago.

Comment

DoubleEthan Yes, it was Mile High. This is the specific class: https://milehighshootingoutdoors.com...-3-day-course/

As long as you are not looking to be catered to (classroom is a Conex box, shooting lanes are not exactly groomed, you go get your own lunch, etc.) and are really in it for the instruction, it is worth the price of admission. I definitely improved both my long game at the class, and have been applying things I learned to improve my short game (200/300 yard) game as well. From what I understand they have decent winds at least one day of each class, sometimes for the entire class, so you are going to learn a lot about wind calls as well. It is not a competition class, but if you are planning on shooting PRS comp then you will also learn things that can be applied.

-Winston Churchill

Comment

Welcome to the HB. We are happy to have you with us. Enjoy the forum.
                "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

“Never Retreat...Just Reload.”

Comment

Welcome from Tennessee!
                  The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
                  Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X