Atlas Shrugged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas Shrugged

Years ago I attempted to read Ayn Rand's classic work Atlas Shrugged, but I must admit my mind was not keyed to it at that time.

Today it is.

Atlas Shrugged is in many ways a continuation of her classic "The Fountain Head". Somewhere in my library is a 1sr Edition of Fountain Head. I need to uncover it and finally read it also.

Ayn Rand was born and educated in Russia. She escaped the early days of communist Russia and even received her college education there during that time. This impacts her thoughts and writings which she brought to this country in the mid 1920's.

Atlas Shrugged in may ways describes what is happening in this country today. Combine this work with Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 and look at this country today. Forget Orwell's 1984, look to these two works of fiction. They are becoming reality in many ways.

When reading Atlas, the reader must remember the period of time in which she wrote it.....the 1950's.

NOW....if someone does not wish to wade through the book, there is a Trilogy out in DVD format of the book. It is a three parter ergo Trilogy and was made over a period starting in 2003 and finished in 2014. This time frame causes a few bits of confusion at times in that with each episode, new actors take over the parts from the previous actor. But even though if the book was properly made into a movie, that movie would be at least 30 hrs long.

The reality is Atlas Shrugged is actually a love story, set within a specific political intrigue. An intrigue which has been creeping across the globe for decades.

I recommend this book.

"Who is john Galt?"
    "I am, therefore I\'ll Think."- John Galt "Atlas Shrugged"

"Arguing with a Marine is like wrestling with a Pig. Everyone gets dirty, but the Pig loves it."

Perhaps, you would be interested in reading, when I'm done.
    A Postcard From the Volcano: A Novel of Pre-War Germany by Lucy Beckett, it's pretty close to describing a possible outcome, of current political climate.
    Columbia Falls, MT
    If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
    Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

I was born to die hard Democratic parents. My 3 siblings are all DHDs. Atlas Shrugged moved me from the Liberal fantasies to the Conservative realities. At one time it was recommended college reading. I don't know any college grads under 50 who ever even heard of it. Wonder who changed that. RD
      Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Don't you mean under 50?
        Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Ayn Rand was required reading in my mother's house. (Pop was totally apolitical, but Mom insisted.) This was in the early 50s.
          -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
          -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Plainsman wrote:
            Don't you mean under 50?
            Good catch!!! I was just seeing if anyone was paying attention.
            Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

RobertMT wrote:
              Perhaps, you would be interested in reading, when I'm done.
              A Postcard From the Volcano: A Novel of Pre-War Germany by Lucy Beckett, it's pretty close to describing a possible outcome, of current political climate.
              Robert..

You mean this one??

http://tinyurl.com/nqs8r59

I've bookmarked it for later reading....

"Arguing with a Marine is like wrestling with a Pig. Everyone gets dirty, but the Pig loves it."

Comment

That's it, I don't do Kindle, have paperback. I just getting into it, it's not presented as fact, but seems mostly correct and based off fact. So far it's kind of hitting home, just returned from Son's gradation/indoctrination from very liberal school.
                Columbia Falls, MT
                If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Atlas Shrugged is like reading the newspaper.

It is not coming, it is already here.
                  William Waco
                  First reload:
                  .22 Hornet - 1956

Comment

My wife is now reading Atlas Shrugged.... and is getting PO'd by the paragraph.....

As she commented....we do not have an Atlantis to run off too.

Comment

Mortis wrote:
                      My wife is now reading Atlas Shrugged.... and is getting PO'd by the paragraph.....

As she commented....we do not have an Atlantis to run off too.
                      Perhaps we should find one?
                      William Waco
                      First reload:
                      .22 Hornet - 1956

Comment

Maybe we can ask the Amphibious Pitcher for directions! :wink:

Comment

My wife is barely 3/4's of the way through the book.....now this is a person who can digest a book of this length over a weekend and still have time to do laundry and other things.

Now she reads during her lunch at work and today one of the Avionic Techs asked her what she was reading and she told him. He said he read the book years ago and asked her where she was at in the book....at that time he told her she could almost finish the book by reading the papers. Sound familiar?

Ayn Rand had developed the philosophy referred to as "Objectivism. The whole purpose of the book is to put that philosophy out to the public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivism_(Ayn_Rand)

Now the wife has been questioning me about many of the aspects of the book which does not seem to fit into life during the 50'sand even now. And to be honest she has asked a few questions that make sense but the answers are somewhat ambiguous at best. Such is real life.

Comment

Atlas Shrugged....I have read it three times over the years. It is a great treatise on the value of talent and hard work, on the real meaning of money, on the best way to take care of others.
                            And she tells a good story (however much she beats us over the head with the message).
                            I read it first during a very difficult time in my life....it changed my worldview. It paved the way for a better understanding of what I was doing in the world.
                            What happen if Atlas said "Enough!" and shrugged the world off his shoulders?
                            Pete

Comment

Does my handle loook familiar?
                              The ladder of success is best climbed by stepping on the rungs of opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                              X