No announcement yet.

Lewis and clark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 2001 I floated the Missouri from Coal Banks Landing to Judith Landing.....with my daughter and a friend & his wife and two young sons. When we hit the water with the canoes that first day there were Whitecaps on the river with an east wind....we ended up Walking the canoes downstream for a great part of that first day. Point being we were on the same river as Louis & Clark so long before us. Also, visited the museum at Great Falls after the trip to see the history of what we had just traversed. It was neat to see the river and landscape maybe not so changed from when they went by.

open link to find out history of the Girandoni air rifles on the L&C expedition.

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/da...oni-air-rifle/
    NRA Life Endowment Member
    WDNR Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Home Safety Firearm Instructor and Pistol

Comment

Bill, Lewis & Clark were not the first people out there. Indian villages all along the river and on the Pacific coast. French and Spanish folks were there long before L&C got there. Many natives spoke French or spanish very well, and had been trading furs, etc for many decades. Most of the indians had metaal objects/tokens before L&C got there.

It was only new to T. Jefferson and the formerly British colonies.

The Spanish left-over horses were plentiful and mostly used as food by the indians and L&C. Some of his troops (they were army) thought they liked horse better than Elk! L&C often traded to get horses, when elk were not around. Most of the game near the river had ben hunted out by the native tribes that lived close.

The Great Falls has been damed for power (Pittsburgh Power & Electric) BUT if you get near Great Falls, be sure to see the Giant Spring 20 yards from the river. Looks just like when L&C came thru except for hundreds of very large brown trout.

IBD I floated the Big Mo in April after MYGAWDS I floated the Missouri fishing with my son. Saw mountain goats and eagles, lots of invasive brown trout.

Comment

Bear, I did not mean to imply others had not been there before, I did say White men, but I guess that could have included the French LOL. I do recall reading the Corps men eating horse, but I think they liked DOG even better LOL. Several years back (2014) we were the Camp Hosts for the Bureau of Reclamation at the RiverSide Campground outside Helena Mt. We met Churchill Clark a great (5) grandson of William Clark who was making a trip down the river to St Louis in his dugout, it was not going to be an easy trip as he said the canoe was easily swamped.
        https://www.goskagit.com/outdoors/no...4cf0c7cbd.html
        "We failed, but in the good providence of God apparent failure often proves a blessing." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Cool article Bill.

It would be nice to relive the adventure...but todaay Missouri isn't the L&C river. too many dams. Still pretty, I like where the Sun river enters, nice wide section.

Comment

Working...
          X