What was I thinking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was I thinking?

In an attempt to continue to be the loving father I am, I volunteered to be a chaperone on my 6th grades sons overnight field trip. Going to some overnight desert learning center north of Phoenix. One thing for sure, it's going to be a trying time on my patience. Upside, I was informed that coffee is available and I have a cooler full of energy drinks. So help me.
    "The definition of madness is doing the same thing twice, and expecting a different result." The HIVES

Lets hope they can make you feel like a kid again.

Comment

Been there, done that. Avoid energy drinks or anything with sugar or caffine...for you or the kids. You want 'calm', not energy. A time to watch.

I did the 6 grade roughing it camp outs. Kids did the tent set up and the cooking. good memories.

Also took 3 kids under 8 on a sleep-out in teepees with a group of mountain men. Was fun, after the 2 little girls went to sleep in out tent; I joined the mountain men around the fire...they shared 'old stump blower'. again good memories...only wish I could gomback to those days. Grandkids are 3700 mile east of my house.

Comment

I was hoping for a camp out actually. Most of my gear is still packed from this past deer season. Energy drinks and coffee are my friends. Told my son, as long as he listens and behaves, I will try to stand back as much as possible. It's funny embarrassing him just by showing up.
        "The definition of madness is doing the same thing twice, and expecting a different result." The HIVES

Comment

All you really have to do is keep them safe, and be a kid again yourself.
          If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

I always tried to ignore my son, made him less self conscious. I did see a lot of helicopter dads; and felt sorry for their kids even if they did need some correction. Let another shaprone correct my kid. (he was always a good kid, no trouble).

Comment

Afternoon activity is archery. BRING IT on.

Comment

It was an interesting trip. The campus which is run by the Maricopa County Parks was really nice. Classroom activities for the kids. One activity was based on ancient games. Another one involved digging for dino bones. The rangers were doing their best at keeping the kids interested. I also was able to get to know some of my kids teachers.

However, with the positive, there was some negatives. The trip could have used more chaperones. I think had there been a few more adults, the stress level would have been greatly reduced.

Comment

Today, anything with children is so PC, and dangerous for adults. One never knows what kids might say!

Comment

Working...
                  X