Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family attacked by wolf in Canada, whats the carry options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family attacked by wolf in Canada, whats the carry options?

Wondering about info from people who've been to Canada. I saw this yesterday in another article and supposedly a wolf grabbed a guy who was with his wife and child and tried to drag him out of the tent at night time. The camper down the way heard the cries for help and ran to the tent and help drive off the wolf by kicking the wolf first then the two men trowing rocks at it drove it off. I was reading the comments where there was a lot ambiguity about carry in Canada. According to the alaska.gov site you're s out of luck if you want to carry a pistol.

https://www.today.com/news/guardian-...-banff-t160782

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=695

"The permit allows a handgun to be in transit, for example to Alaska, but a permit would not be issued to someone simply vacationing in Canada."

Carry a stick.
    a spear is better.

A GUN?????? Ain't gonna happen.

Comment

You'll be safe from wolves if you carry a handgun into Canada. Because you'll be in jail. Well, safe from the four-legged ones anyway.
      Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Sounds like my vacation dollars will be spent somewhere other than Calif., N.Y., N.J., Mass., and now Canada. If I wanted to wind up in jail or dead, we have plenty of places here like that close to Ft. Benning! I don't go spent money there either.
        You only get one chance to do the right thing the right way.

Comment

You can use rifle or shotgun for protection, from animals. Canada doesn't consider defense from two legged predators a valid use. For laws and forms, see link.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i.../index-eng.htm
          Columbia Falls, MT
          If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
          Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Robert, I can't find anything to document what you say you can do with a firearm in Canada, or that you can bring a firearm into Canada with that avowed purpose. Where did you find that? I must be blind. Thanks for the help!
            Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

In addition to having form RCMP 5589/ CAFC 909 filled out and approved, you need valid reason to bring firearms into Canada. Hunting and transporting them through Canada to another state IE: Alaska, are most common, but competing in shooting match and protection from wildlife, while enjoying outdoors are also valid reasons. If you say you're just visiting and you need firearm for self defense, you'll likely be turned down, but if you instead state "protection from wildlife", you'll likely be approved.

If you want to bring restricted firearm (full sized handgun), you'll also need to fill these forms out.

RCMP 5490 / CAFC 679
              • Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms and Prohibited Firearms
              • As of September 2, 2015, individuals with restricted or prohibited firearms may be eligible to have conditions attached to their firearms licence for certain routine and lawful transportation purposes. To confirm if these conditions are attached to your licence, please call 1-800-731-4000.
              • If you still require an Authorization to Transport, you can also apply for one by phone. Please call 1-800-731-4000.
              RCMP 5491 / CAFC 680
              • Application for an Authorization to Carry Restricted Firearms and Prohibited Handguns
              • Before completing and submitting this form, individuals wishing to apply for an Authorization to Carry for the purpose of protection from animals are asked to contact the Chief Firearms Officer of their province or territory.

Columbia Falls, MT
              If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
              Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

I'd like to know how many applications for "protection from wildlife" are approved. My guess? None. But then I am not fond of Canada's official attitude toward firearms, particularly those belonging to "visitors."

Comment

CFP Contact Centre - Toll-Free Service

Contact us for information about firearms licensing, registration or transfers; questions about regulatory requirements; and for forms, applications, publications, or any other assistance.

Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm nationwide

Telephone:
                  1-800-731-4000 (toll-free for Canada and the United States)
                  1-506-624-6626 (for all countries outside of Canada and the United States)

Email: [email protected]

Facsimile: 613-825-0297

Mail:
                  Royal Canadian Mounted Police
                  Canadian Firearms Program
                  Ottawa, ON K1A 0R2
                  Columbia Falls, MT

Comment

Working...
                  X